I must love challenges

I am currently participating in two challenges:  the slice of life writing challenge and the Whole Life Challenge.  According to Gretchen Rubin’s book “Better Than Before”, I am an obliger – dependent on external accountability.

The only reason that I am writing this post tonight is because I made a commitment to someone or some organization.  I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone so I made this public promise.  I am hoping that I can build the muscle of daily writing.

Last fall, a former student invited me to join her group in the Whole Life Challenge.  In this challenge you commit to eating healthy, exercising, hydrating, sleeping at least seven hours a night, and implementing a life style practice such as daily meditation.  Each challenge lasts eight weeks.  I track my progress via computer each night.

Participating in both of these challenges makes me more aware, more present.  For the SOL challenge, I try to be on the look out for the extraordinary in the ordinary.  For the Whole Life Challenge, I try to make healthy choices over unhealthy choices.

4 thoughts on “I must love challenges

1. Challenges are great! I’m in the SOL, and I challenged myself to be in bed by 10:00. Well, I fulfilled the first, and missed the second. There’s always tomorrow. I wish you the best on your challenges.