Teachers and mommies can’t get sick

I have been fighting a cold or even the flu for the last week.  The coughing at night  has really interrupted my sleep.

Last night was the worst!  Coughing, chills, sweating, coughing.  I pressed the snooze button three times this morning.

If you’re a teacher, you’re not asking why didn’t I take a sick day.  You know.  We are only four weeks away from the administration of PARCC and I would say that even if I had eight weeks left,  couldn’t finish all the curriculum remaining.  As a teacher, you know that if you take a day off you need at least two to catch up.

So, I did what we all do – I got in front of audience and taught. (and coughed and blew my nose)  I worked with students in small groups. (and coughed and blew my nose)  I even did the after school tutoring program. (and coughed, blew my nose and threw out the box of tissues I opened this morning)

At about 4:00 PM, I said to the tutoring group, “I have to sit down”.   One of the students who had been with me 80 minutes in the morning and an hour in the afternoon looked at me and asked, “You’re sick?”

Well for a moment I thought he was the most self absorbed person, then I thought I must be the world’s best actress.  But I remembered:  teachers and mommies can’t get sick.

5 thoughts on “Teachers and mommies can’t get sick

1. You’re right, we can’t get sick. But at the same time, if we don’t take that one day it could get worse and we have to take multiple days… I love those commercials where the parent tells his/her kid he/she is taking a sick day…Feel Better!

2. “If you’re a teacher, you’re not asking why I didn’t take a sick day.” I’m not. I’ve been there. It’s often harder to take time. But, if I’m more-than-a-cold sick, I take time to recover. I hope that you feel better quickly, and that you’ll take time if you need it. The work will wait.

3. Oh yes! It’s harder to take a sick day and make the sub plans than to just go in and deal with it! Sorry you are sick – feel better soon!